Did you know?
- That your heart is the size of your fist and it pumps 5.6 litres per day and beats an average of 72 times per minute.
- That your lungs breathe 12-18 times per minute, exchanging more than 4 liters of air with each breath.
- That your kidneys filter 180 litres of fluid of fluid per day that equal 1.25 litres per minute.
- That the basic living unit of the body is the cell. Each cell type is specially adapted to perform one particular function. There are over 75 trillion cells that exist in the human body.
- That there are 10 billion capillaries with a surface area of 500-700 square meters whose sole function is to provide circulation throughout the body.
- That the central nervous system is made up of the brain and spinal cord, and is protected by the bones of the skull and spine. The central nervous system performs the prior listed functions plus hundreds more. It is capable of conducting a nerve signal from the tip of your toe to the tip of your head in less than 20 milliseconds at a speed of more than 120 meters/second. That is a distance in one second longer than a football field.
- Doctors of chiropractic are trained to detect misalignments in the spine called subluxations. Subluxations interfere with the functions of the central nervous system. These misalignments cause dysfunction by disturbing the internal balance of the body called homeostasis and can lead to or result in symptomatology of varying degrees. Such as,
- Neck problems
- Muscle pains
- Hip and shoulder pains
- Leg pain
- Chronic stress or fatigue
- Sciatica, disc and low back problems.
- If you or anyone you know are suffering with any of the above symptoms give Chiropractic a try. The best gift to give is one of health.
Your nervous system
As human life begins, about day 18 the first organ is formed in the embryo. That organ is the nervous system. It is the first organ formed, because right from the start, it is going to be connected to every cell in the body.
According to Dorland’s medical dictionary, the purpose of the nervous system is to control and coordinate the function of every tissue, organ, and system in the body and to adapt the body to its environment. Our nervous system therefore controls every part of our body.
The brain has two functions: It is a computer and a generator. It is a computer, because it takes information from the body and its environment, processes and integrates it and then sends commands to the body. It is a generator because it generates and transmits life energy to all the cells in the body. No nerve flow, no life energy.
If nerve flow is cut off to a part of the body that part of the body is lifeless in terms of its function. If nerve flow is reduced or altered to a part of the body, the cells that are supplied by the nerve become unhealthy. Doctors of chiropractic are the only specialty trained to detect and correct subluxations which cause interference within the nervous system...Have you had your spine checked lately?
A dozen tips for a healthy long life
- See your chiropractor regularly, especially if you are ill, under a lot of stress, pregnant or in an accident or trauma.
- Lose weight if you need to. Losing one pound takes 10 pounds of stress off your lower back.
- Quit smoking-smoking cuts blood supply to the discs between the vertebrae, so the degenerate faster.
- Keep your wallet out of your back pocket when sitting, especially while driving.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach-it twists your neck; avoid the fetal position it reverses your spinal curves.
- Eat organic, unrefined foods and drink at least 8 glasses of pure water every day.
- Take a walk after dinner-it aids in digestion, weight loss, and is a nice time to spend with others.
- Avoid drugs, including alcohol and caffeine.
- Breastfeed your baby as long as you can. It is best for baby and mother's health.
- Take time to relax, meditate, pray, appreciate nature and play everyday.
- Finding fulfillment and creativity in your work improves your health.
- Connect. The more relationships and love in your life, the healthier, happier and longer you will live.
When is enough, enough?
We are always so busy worrying about work, school or home life our many “large” problems-that we tend to forget about our small problems- health problems including difficulty in sleeping, mild fatigue, occasional headaches, minor pain, stiffness, anxiety…too often we simply ignore these problems, hoping they’ll go away. Well, usually in the course of ignoring these things we find that something does go away-our sensitivity. Our problems remain, but our ability to feel them slowly fades into the recesses of our busy lives. The voices of sensitivity and pain become lost in the background clamor of our work and responsibilities.
Day to day stresses can cause your spine’s many complex parts such as intervertebral discs, ligaments, tendons and the very bone itself begin to deteriorate. It is these stresses that can cause the spinal vertebrae to shift from their proper places, and become misaligned irritating the surrounding nerves, bones, discs, ligaments and other soft tissues. This serious spinal condition is called a vertebral subluxation. Subluxations are often painless and get worse with time.
People today are putting more effort into wellness. The idea of waiting until something is wrong and trying to fix it is becoming less popular. Billions of dollars are spent in North America on bottled water, supplements, gym memberships, organic foods, personal trainers, yoga and other wellness initiatives.
- How chiropractic fits into the wellness model is that chiropractors focus on improving and maintaining the proper alignment and movement of the spinal bones so that the nervous system can work without interference, allowing the body to have optimum potential to regulate itself. If the purpose of our nervous system is to control and coordinate the function of every tissue, organ and system and adapt the body to its environment…we can eat the best foods, but if there is nerve interference to the digestive organs, proper digestion will be affected. We can exercise, but if our structure is unstable, the benefits will be limited. We can think good thoughts, but if there is tension on the nervous system our mind and body cannot function to full potential.
Chiropractors are in favor of patients doing everything they can to reduce emotional, chemical, and physical stress and using wellness initiatives to improve their health. By taking steps to improve your health, you will reduce the odds of developing illness. Most people unfortunately do not understand the important role that the nervous system plays in our health and miss a most important part of our wellness….spinal wellness.