What is KST?
It is a specific chiropractic technique.
In late 2003, as a result of research and clinical experimentation, Tedd Koren developed a form of chiropractic spinal care that he now calls Koren Specific Technique. Patients can be more thoroughly analyzed than ever before, with the adjustments holding better and for longer periods of time.
KST is a unique chiropractic technique
The analysis consists of three steps (the 3 C’s):
- Challenge - Challenging is part of the analysis procedure. In a relatively short period of time the entire structural system can be checked: skull, spine, discs, hips, ribs, sternum, shoulders, arms, legs, hands, feet – anything that is out of position can be analyzed.
- Check - Checking tells us if the body part is in its proper position. The base of the skull is used as a yes/no device. We call this the occipital drop or OD.
We have a binary or yes/no system telling us if an area needs or does not need to be corrected or adjusted. This system is akin to muscle testing (applied kinesiology or AK) wherein a muscle will become weak when confronted with a negative impulse. The OD is the exact same principle except it is passive.
- Correct - Correcting is when an adjustment is needed the area is corrected using the Arthrostim™ adjusting instrument. There is no manual adjusting with KST. No "popping", "cracking" or noise of any kind besides that of the instrument itself.
The ArthroStim™ is an FDA approved instrument developed by IMPAC technology in Oregon. It has been continuously refined and perfected over its 22-year history. It introduces energy/force/information to the body to realign segments and remove nerve pressure at a speed of 12 “taps” per second (12 hertz); it is a fast, accurate, low force and controlled adjustment.
The ArthroStim™ gives patients a very specific adjustment, meaning that only the segment that is out of position is adjusted; there is no twisting, turning or “cracking” of joints. This technique permits adjusting in different postures and positions of pain..
This is very important because sometimes a problem can only be reproduced in a certain position. For example, a driver in a car accident (sitting) may not reveal their spinal damage or subluxations when standing; therefore they must be analyzed and corrected in the seated position. This is especially noticeable with people who suffer pain, neurological problems, TMJ and other conditions.
How Should a Patient Feel?
Most people report a feeling of ease, relaxation and well-being as their structural nerve stress (subluxations) releases/diminishes. Some people feel very relaxed and they should listen to their body and go home and sleep if at all possible.
The next day some people feel as if they've had a good workout, often in places they never knew they had. This is usually felt only after the first adjustment, is temporary and usually disappears within a short time.
People have many layers. After the correction of what the body is showing at the time, older injuries, older distortions, older subluxations and older symptoms (both physical and emotional) may surface to release. The release and healing of old injuries is known as “retracing” and is usually part of the healing process.
On occasion patients have reported “cleansing” symptoms such as diarrhea, pus, mucus, headache, fever, etc. as toxins leave the body. These symptoms are usually temporary. It is helpful to be told if unusual symptoms arise. These symptoms may take the form of emotional releases: old memories coming up or unusual dreams.
Sometimes an area is so weak and the distortion so extensive that a segment put in place may not stay in position and may need correcting again.
Dr. Chale and Dr. Carriere are both certified KST practitioners.
KST Benefits to Patients
- Able to analyse varied health problem/s in different positions
- The most important problem is worked on first, not necessarily the one with the greatest symptoms. This usually makes for a faster recovery.
- Knowing what where, when and in what order to adjust. Gentle, comfortable, safe, and less corrective stress.
Chiropractic is a healthcare specialty utilizing safe, effective methods to prevent and correct injuries and illnesses. It is a cost effective approach for injuries and weaknesses of the human frame such as; back pain, neck pain, certain types of headaches, sprains and strains including whiplash and many on the job injuries relating to repetitive motion.
Please-come in, relax and learn about the Art and Science of Chiropractic. The team at Performance Chiropractic is devoted to offering families and individuals optimum care with a caring touch.
Our caring team of chiropractors, massage therapists, acupuncturist and staff work together to provide the best possible patient-centered care. We pride ourselves on offering high quality care in a team based environment. At Performance Chiropractic we match care to your physical and emotional preferences. Having knowledge of various chiropractic techniques allows us to meet the needs of different patients. Whether you are suffering from an injury or just interested in professional assistance to get in and stay in excellent health-we have something for you.
- Seniors: keep the SPRING in your step
- Athletes of all ages: enhance athletic performance
- Younger people: preventative maintenance before problems begin
- Neck problems and headaches
- Sciatica, disc and low back problems
- Leg pain
- Muscle pains
- Hip and shoulder pain
- Chronic stress or fatigue
- Anxiety and emotional patterns
- Carpel tunnel
….and much, much more!